By Justin Mays:
While all countries have laws that citizens and non-citizens must follow, some laws can seem entirely ridiculous, such as the infamous bubble gum ban in Singapore. There were many such weird laws in the Ottoman era, in Turkey. We have rounded up a few of the weird laws in Turkey for your entertainment.
Weird Laws in Turkey
- There used to be a law according to which men over the age of 80 were not allowed to become pilots.
- A law existed in Ottoman Turkey that made plucking unripe olives punishable by two years of imprisonment.
- Suleiman the Magnificent banned the consumption of coffee and forbade people from visiting coffee houses since they had become places for political discussion.
- During the Ottoman era, gypsies were not allowed to have or even ride horses for people believed that they would carry out crimes while riding them.
- It was prohibited for people to play games in coffee houses such as backgammon and chess owing to the deadly black plague.
Important Laws to Know About
Here are some important laws to know about if you are a foreigner living in Turkey.
- While insulting people can land you in trouble, insulting Kemal Ataturk, or the Turkish flag is a huge crime that can result in imprisonment for five years.
- Disrespecting the Turkish Lira is also illegal and carries a punishment of six months to three years of prison.
- Not having your ID with you can also cause issues. Everyone in Turkey, whether they are citizens or non-citizens, must carry their IDs since the local police perform random checks at touristy and busy locations.
- Taking ancient artifacts out of Turkey can also result in a hefty fine and anywhere from five to twelve years in prison.
- Taking photos at military locations is also illegal.
More to read from us:
Kas Real Estate | How to Find Your Home
Kalkan Real Estate | How to Find Your Home
This exclusive property is superbly located between Kalkan Town and Kalamar Bay, residing in one of ....
Built in 2016, this stunning property has recently undergone recent renovations, ensuring that this ....
Large completely furnished holiday home for 7 persons. The ground floor has a spacious living room w....
This mansion style villa has the best of both worlds. Whether looking for stunning sea views or rela....
This centrally located well-maintained apartment within an exclusive complex in Kas is a budget frie....
This 4-bedroom semi-detached villa comes fully furnished, taking the idea of move-in ready to the n....
This property is located in the hills above Göcek and is set within its own tastefully landscaped g....